Saturday, December 8, 2012

Pottery Barn NOEL Knock-off



Pottery Barn...sigh!!  I love almost everything in the store.  It is my style in home decor.  But you know what I don't love...the prices.  As a result, I simply window shop and use it as my muse for some homemade knock-offs.

For the holiday season, I ran across this Pottery Barn wall hanging.

 
 Super cute, with a super price tag of $149.  No, your eyes do not deceive you.  Those four letters cost $149.  So I decided to make my own.

Supplies:
N O E L--mdf letters
Crimson and raw Umber Paint
Paint brushes
Glue Gun and Glue Sticks



I painted all the letters in the Raw Umber first.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  In fact, if some white shows through or if the brush strokes are visible, that's okay.  It will add to the rustic look of the piece.
 



When the paint is almost dry, add a layer of crimson.  Once again, don't paint it solid.  Some of the umber needs to show through.  Keep layering the paints in this manner until you like it.




 Can you tell where I have been painting?


Once the letters have completely dried, arrange them to say NOEL.  You can be creative with the arrangement. 

 

Use hot glue to attach letters together.  I also used a staple gun to secure the letters more.






I spent a total of $13 to get the same look as the $149 original!!  Have a Merry Christmas and happy crafting!!



2 comments:

  1. Rachel I LOVE this! Too cute and so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! I have been thinking about doing it with SNOW and using blues instead of reds!! Hope you all are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete